Just when you thought the security leaks around the upcoming iPhone 6 couldn’t get any worse, they have. Following up an array of blurry and celebrity themed iPhone 6 photos we now have an extensive, high quality video looking at both Apple’s AAPL -1.03% 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models.
The seven minute video comes from prolific YouTube gadget bloggers TechSmartt and it puts both models not only up against one another but also the current iPhone 5S, Galaxy Note 3 and LG G3.
Key observations are:
- The 5.5-inch model is taller and wider than the 5.5-inch LG G3 and 5.7-inch Samsung Galaxy Note 3
- The 4.7-inch model is roughly the same size as most 5-inch handsets
- Both models are significantly thinner than any previous iPhone
- Both models have flat backs ending rumours of a more curved design
- Neither model has a curved screen, again as rumoured
- The 5.5-inch model is a two handed device but big hands may be able to use the 4.7-inch device one handed
Big Bezel Problems
Interestingly this final point sees concern raised about the size of top and bottom bezels on both devices. Apple rivals have drastically shrunk bezels on all sides of their big screen phones to try and maintain one handed use, but Apple has broken from the pack and it does mean both models are bigger than other phones with the same screen size.
This also harks back to what I see as the one big mistake in iOS 8. Key navigation buttons remain in the top left and right corners, the hardest places to reach on a big screen phone. How / if Apple tackles this is going to be crucial to the iPhone 6′s overall usability.
Source of Leaks Revealed
There is a final gem in the video. It explains that both models are dummy units and the implication is again that the source of the leaks is case makers.
From my industry contacts I know previously Apple has only supplied its most important case partners with dimensions of its new phones ahead of launch. But this time – presumably due to the extensive nature of the changes – the company has given out dummy units and they are popping up everywhere.
Whether this is clever research (expect leaks and gauge the consumer reaction to different iPhone sizes) or pure accident we will likely never know, but based on responses to iPhone leak posts I have written the response to the new sizes (particularly the 5.5-inch model) has been mixed at best.
Questions Still To Be Answered
That said with dummy units dominating the leaks some mystery about the new iPhones does still remain. Namely:
- Screen resolution – though 1704 x 960 pixels is hotly tipped for both
- Front and rear camera resolution – 8 megapixels and 13 megapixels have been mooted for the rear
- Video recording – will 4k ‘ultra HD’ join the ranks?
- Battery Life – vital for these big screens
- Retail price – a $100 premium has been touted for the 5.5-inch model
There are also plenty of surprises still left for the expected August/September launch event. Most notable is the potential appearance of the long awaited iWatch and having seen Samsung tie its Note 3 to the Galaxy Gear 2 as ideal companions we could see a similar marketing strategy from Apple.
We should also see significantly more of Apple’s CarPlay in-car system – again something Google GOOGL +0.1% is expected to counter with ‘Auto Link’ (currently a codename) at I/O 2014 which takes place next week.